Pages

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Undefined

"If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive." - Audre Lorde


self:  O.E. self, seolf, sylf "one's own person, same," "separate, apart"

"Trying to define yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth." [Alan Watts]


To have you define me would be unjust
The business of definition belongs to the defined.
Your book defines me as 'black, but comely'
Your book is mistaken in this regard
I stand silhouetted in the light
I am black AND comely
Unapologetic

Bent,
I am,
Unfurling
Tried;
I stand the test of time
Feminist, writer, freethinker, equality seeker
Are adjectives that attempt to define me
Progressive pragmatic
Introverted excavator
Lucky and cursed
The only person I am better than is who I was yesterday
My sole competition stares back at me in the mirror.

Knocked down
Cut off
Left out
Brooding
I left my blood running
In uncharted waters
I swim

I will compromise, but never surrender
Even though I've tried to give up one too many times
I am
Limitless
Impatient
Unlimited
Enigma,
Unwritten

I am undefined...
"How can I accept a limited definable self when I feel, in me, all possibilities." — Anaïs Nin

 https://suite101.com/deroux-alexander/undefined

No comments:

Post a Comment